Tuesday, March 5, 2013

PLE 7- Metacognition

Consider a lesson plan you might use.  Which metacognitive skills/abilities are involved as students gain facility/knowledge in this domain?


Lesson plan for first grade general music: Teaching basic rhythm in common meter (4/4)

I think once I have used kinesthetic skills such as clapping, singing, dancing to beats in a 4/4 pattern, I would want to show my class how to relate the theory of a simple music pattern by painitng (not literally) a picture in their mind of how music and math are inter-related. Activating metacognitive skills such as learning things outside of class will help facilitate the knowledge they are learning.

For example-

I would present an actual dollar bill in class and have them pass it around:

This represents a whole (total) dollar, which is equal to a whole note, or 4 beats, an entire measure. 

Then I would pass around 4 quarters:

I would then explain how 4 quarters equal one whole dollar. And that there are 4 quarter notes equal to one whole note, or the entire measure in 4/4 time signature.

Metacognitive skills include:

• Self assess  (using instructor-provided tool) learning styles and preferences, strengths and weaknesses
• Share and explain their own learning preferences and learning strategies to others.
• Describe how one’s learning preference affects how one learns.

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/gedmd/cs/eslcsmeta.pdf

Students at the end of class can respond to what type of learning they preferred, whether it was visual through seeing money, or learning kinesthetically.

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I think I was taught this way, and relating time and money made it work for me. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you involved the whole body with clapping, singing, and dancing. I think this is a great way for students to use their whole brain and body in learning. Multiple means of action/engagement!

    ReplyDelete