Thursday, April 25, 2013

PLE- Group Differences Forum

Group discussion is a learning and communicative strategy I believe should be incorporated in some kind of way no matter what grade level. Even if it is kindergarteners discussing what they feel about their day or the weather outside! Our group forums spurred many conversations and I gained insight to many aspects of each group discussion. Honestly, like one of our classmates brought up, I had not even thought about ELL students in my classroom and how difficult it would be if I didn't have training, or there wasn't some kind of program they could take part in.

Something I would have changed with the activity was definitely the way our group presented our article initially. I like to think since we were first we were the guinae pigs (heh). BUT, if I had to detect
and pick apart/explain a complicated article- I would skip all the complicated numbers! Something that could have helped people with each topic was to write down 2 things they found most valuable out of their articles to share with the class. Maybe this could be done by emailing the professor and having her print them out. Yes, it would take more time, and honestly I remember almost all the topics vividly, but if we had to add something it may be something to think about.

Regardless, each group presented information that will be useful in the classroom by recognizing issues such as race and religion in our students, and how we as teachers can incorporate teaching these topics without offending students and being fair.

-For the most part, I reached my goal as to participation in the group discussion. I tend to have an opinion about a lot of things, so my goal was to pose more questions and listen rather than talk to much!

No comments:

Post a Comment